We encounter strangers on a daily basis. We do not know them and we do not know what they are going through. One thing that is in our control is making sure that we do our part in brightening their day and not making it any worse. By showing gratitude, being cheerful, and being appreciative we can make a lasting impact even on a stranger. By doing this we create a more joyful, receptive world. It is more simple than you assume to show gratitude even to strangers.
Listed below are a few examples in which you can show gratitude to people you encounter in your life, even when they are merely a stranger to you:
- Telling the barista at the coffee shop which you visited that you appreciate her making your drink.
- Thank the worker at the local grocery store, and let the small business know that you appreciate them being in business and all of the effort that they are putting in.
- Make or buy a treat and bring it to people who work tough, selfless jobs such as firefighters, teachers, nurses, and so forth.
- Invite your neighbor for dinner and let them know how much you appreciate them and state that you are grateful to have them as your neighbor. Build that bond and deepen your relationship.
- When you go out to dinner express your gratitude to your waiter and leave them a good tip. You can even go a step further and let the management know what a splendid job the waiter did.
- Write a thank-you note to your child’s teacher. Although they are not quite a complete stranger to you, you still do not quite know them well. Express your gratitude for all of the hard work that they put into your child.
- Send a thank-you note to a soldier. This can be done through Operation Gratitude.
- Say thank you to the janitor you see at the mall.
- Sometimes you can show gratitude in a way that is more distantly related and not something that comes to mind right away. An example of this could be writing a review on iTunes for a podcaster that you listened to. Tell them how this podcast touched you and thank them for it.
- Leaving a review for a business you use such as a bank to let them know you are grateful for the work that they perform.
What other ways do you spread gratitude among strangers? Please click here to share your ideas, we’d all love to learn more ways to spread gratitude! Be grateful. Take care and stay connected.